Beschweren auf Englisch: Bleiben Sie professionell
What to say when you have a complaint
First of all: Do not get emotional
- Speak calmly and politely.
- Think about how the person you are speaking to will react.
- Don’t make their job more difficult by yelling at them. If you yell, they will probably yell back.
Useful phrases for complaints
If you are dealing with a large organization or company, they may have a Special department for dealing with complaints or a dedicated phone number.
- "Could you put me through to the customer relations / customer complaints department please? I’m phoning about a problem with our new telephone system. Can you tell me who is responsible, please?"
Give the person a Chance
A good way to get what you want is to make the person at the other end of the line feel important.
- "I don’t know if you will be able to help me but ....../ I wonder if youcan help me. / I do hope you can help me."
A trick that often works is to assume that they won’t be able to help you and let them rise to the challenge.
- "I don’t suppose you know what I can do about this problem I’ve been having. / I know you are not responsible for this but maybe you have some idea what I could do?"
Ask to speak with higher-level people
Ask the Name
If the person you are talking to is unfriendly, ask them their name. People usually become more helpful once they are not anonymous.
- "Would you give me your name, please?"
Golden Rules of complaining
Wenn Sie sich beschweren wollen, ist es wichtig, dass Sie sich diese Regeln zu Eigen machen. Dann werden Sie sicherlich Erfolg haben.
Follow these Golden Rules of complaining to get your own way in any situation.
Fill in the gaps by choosing the correct words from below.
I don't suppose
put me through
calmly and politely
- Make sure you speak _____. Imagine how the person you are speaking to will react. Don’t make their job more difficult by_____ at them.
- If the company has a department for _____ complaints, say: “Could you _____ to the customer complaints department please? Make the person at the other end of the line feel important. Say: _____ if you can help me.” or “ I do hope you can help me.”
- Another trick that often works is to say: “I know you are not _____ for this but maybe you have some idea what I could do” or “_____ you know what I can do about this problem.”
- If you _____ someone, they will most likely defend themselves and fight back. It is more productive to ask for _____ rather than point your _____ at the person who made the mistake.
- If these first attempts at _____ fail, ask to speak to the person’s _____. Higher-level people are often more _____ and able to _____ when dealing with your complaint. So you might say: “Would you put me through to someone in a senior position, please”.
Answers: 10), 13), 4), 7), 3), 14), 6), 8), 1), 12), 5), 11), 9), 2).